Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Week 2 Formal Letter

Subject: Self-Introduction Letter


Dear Professor Brad Franklin Blackstone,

My name is Regine See, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself. I am newly enrolled in your Effective Communication class, MEC1281, and this is my second trimester at the Singapore Institute of Technology. Before university, I studied at Nanyang Polytechnic and have graduated with a diploma in biomedical engineering, specializing in automation and quality control. I have chosen to further my studies in mechanical engineering as I enjoy bringing my designs to life and creating products that could help people in any way.

With regards to my weakness in communication, I believe I have weaker grammar skills and a slightly limited vocabulary. I usually end up having to check my writing multiple times or seek help online to check for further grammatical errors. Additionally, I often feel challenged when trying to use a wider variety of words instead of the usual few.

As for my communication strength, it will be on how I enjoy speaking to people. I am capable of speaking to both small groups and large crowds with ease. Being able to pitch and introduce my ideas, projects, and designs to others is a great joy to me as I especially love sharing thoughts about them with an audience.

In this module, I hope that I can build up my vocabulary and grammar knowledge as it can improve my ability to speak and write more fluently and engagingly. Additionally, I hope that this module would allow me to warm up to more people and create new friendships in class.

Moving on to other things that are more unique about me, I live together with three cats, three parrots, and a dog. I also have four years of experience, shooting with air rifles. Other than that, I am quite a normal person who enjoys reading novels and playing computer games with friends during my free time.

Thank you for reading my letter. I hope that this letter has brought me closer to you. Let’s work hard together for this module!

Yours sincerely
Regine

10 comments:

  1. Good day, Regine! Thank you for sharing your letter. From your letter, I really like the way you define your communication strengths and flaws, it's thorough and precise. Aside from that, it's great that you linked your communication issue to your module aim.

    I hope you are successful in achieving your goals and that we will have more chances to work together in the future.

    Yan Ning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yan Ning! Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope we can have more opportunities to work together as well. All the best!

      Regards,
      Regine

      Delete
  2. Hi Regine! Thank you for taking time to write this letter. You're so detailed and precise when you shared about your background in your letter. I believe that you've covered all the necessary points required.

    I really enjoyed reading your letter, four years of experience shooting with air rifles? super cool. I hope that you'll achieve your goals this trimester. I look forward to get to know you more in class and that we will get to work together, see you !

    - Amirah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amirah! Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I am glad you have enjoyed them. I had fun and missed my time shooting too. I look forward to getting to know you better as well, let's work hard together!

      Regards,
      Regine

      Delete
  3. Hello Regine! Thank you for your letter. I love the way you structured and presented your thoughts, especially with the inclusion of examples.

    I hope that you achieve your goals and to get to know you better during this module.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope that we can achieve our goals and get to know each other better as well!

      Regards,
      Regine

      Delete
  4. Dear Regine,

    Thank you for this articulate, richly detailed letter. It's clear, succinct and highly informative. You do a fine job addressing the assignment brief as you share your educational background and experience in poly, your development and needs in terms of communication skills and your goals. It's also interesting for us readers to learn about your pets and your hobby of shooting air rifles. My only question is this: what motivated you to choose that?

    As mentioned, this letter is fluent, though there is one minor language issues to take note of in terms of sentence structure:
    -- Especially as I love sharing my ideas, projects, and designs with others, being able to pitch and introduce them to an audience is a joy for me. > (fragment) ?

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter! I have tried to edit my letter according to your feedback and hope I had managed to correct my sentence structure. As for your question, "what motivated me to choose that?" do you mean what motivated me to choose the unique points of me? Or are you referring to what made me choose air rifle?

      To be frank, I have chosen the two unique points because I do not have many interesting things about me. As for why I have chosen the air rifle, it was simply just because it sounded cool. Nonetheless, it did teach me discipline and perseverance, which I hope would be beneficial in my studies.

      I look forward to learning more from you this trimester!

      Regards,
      Regine

      Delete
  5. Hi Regine, it’s nice to more about you! So interesting. I can see that you’re a confident person. That’s great ! I believe that your letter can be improved such that in the first paragraph you should use lesser commas and use more full stops. Hence the sentence will be shorter and it will sound more professional. Your letter is very detailed and easy to understand which is a takeaway for me. May I know more about the air riffles ? Sounds so cool !!
    Cheers,
    Irdina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irdina,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter! I have taken note of your feedback and will try to apply it in my future works as well.

      Air rifles are a type of air gun where that uses air pressure to shoot. It is considered a sports event and is competed in the Olympics. Pretty sure you can have a go in certain SAFRA in Singapore too!

      Regards,
      Regine

      Delete

Critical Reflection

Module Learning: Throughout the course of this module, I felt that I was able to meet the objectives put forth. I have not perfected effec...