Friday, April 8, 2022

Critical Reflection

Module Learning:

Throughout the course of this module, I felt that I was able to meet the objectives put forth. I have not perfected effective communications skills, but I have come a long way from where I started. In addition, I enhanced my ability to communicate more fluently and effectively in both spoken and written form. Unlike the bad habits I picked up in polytechnic, I was able to unlearn the wrong skills and learn the correct and proper techniques for writing papers like summary reader responses, technical reports, and transmittal letters. I believe that bad habits are the most difficult to break; it was challenging to adjust to a new way of communicating, but it was clear that the new method was much more effective in presenting my ideas to others.

Aside from what I sought to improve, I acquired new skills, such as how to effectively provide feedback to my classmates and team members so that they can improve their work. Back when I was in polytechnic, our class would often liberally leave comments to not upset or offend anyone's feelings. However, it was only now that I understood that if feedback is not given objectively and effectively, it can have a negative impact on others instead. I observed that providing constructive feedback does not always necessitate being impolite and merciless. I should still use polite language, but the content of my feedback should be truthful and beneficial. It is so that my classmates and teammates can learn from their mistakes and avoid repeating them. Being overly polite with my feedback will not assist them in the harsh working environment.

I was not expecting much when I first attended the class and was hesitant to speak up. I required more time to warm up in general and be forced out of my comfort zone. It's not that I could not speak up; it was merely that I preferred to be alone. As a result, my first trimester at the Singapore Institute of Technology ended with me having to establish only a few connections with my peers. On the other hand, Professor Brad appeared hell-bent on forcing us to communicate with the rest of the class; after all, that is what this module is all about. Despite my initial discomfort, I was actually grateful because I had formed many valuable friendships with the class.


Project Learning:

In my project assignment, I teamed with a group to prepare a technical report and present our proposal to the rest of the class. My team proposed that the airport baggage handling system be replaced with a new system named U-Lugg. However, it took some time for my team to settle on this idea. Professor Brad, thankfully, had written up schedules and outlined what to do to make things work step by step. We learned to pitch in each of our ideas in an attempt to choose the most plausible option, and this was our first obstacle.

Initially, our group was apprehensive and hesitant to share our views. We gradually warmed up and provided honest suggestions to gain a better understanding of which option was more feasible. I discovered that various individuals work in a different manner and that using a different method on different people might sometimes be more effective. As a result, I have learned to speak and approach things differently depending on who I am speaking with.

My team and I have learned that there is a correct framework for a technical report to communicate our ideas to the reader properly. I have unlearned the incorrect drafting of a technical report and adopted the proper method. To be truthful, I went back and read the technical report I wrote years ago in an attempt to get suggestions, only to be bewildered by the nonsense I had written. That is where I felt like I had made the most progress.

In terms of the presentation, it was through the mock presentation that my team and I obtained valuable input from the other teams. They offered helpful comments and suggestions for how we could improve. Since everyone's skill level varies, our group is made up of people with different levels of English proficiency. Some of us could write better, while others need more help. We learnt to help each other through this endeavour, and through helping, we also benefited ourselves.

Furthermore, my team and I worked in distinct ways. They like to work offline in person, but I prefer to work online from the comfort of my own home. To compensate, I try to be more proactive in writing and creating the PowerPoint. Due to our heavy academic burden, our group was unable to meet regularly, both offline and online. That is where we have to remind one another of our responsibilities and learn how to merge our reports into a voice, even though we are working on them individually.

I have learned a lot not only from Professor Brad but also from my teammates. This project's process was gratifying for me. Working with others enabled me to see matters from other perspectives, and we were able to gain significant experience as a result.

Ultimately, I gained a lot of knowledge from this module, but the learning does not stop here; what I learned will be beneficial throughout the duration of my studies and even when I am working. To improve myself, I will continue to enforce what I have learned and also give greater attention to written papers to increase my vocabulary.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Regine,

    Thank you very much for this richly detailed, well organized critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed both facets of the assignment – module learning and the project -- and that you considered each area in depth while focusing on various aspects of the work you did and the skills achieved. You have also presented multiple takeaways. Most of all I like the authenticity of this post. "Hell-bent" indeed!

    In addition, you've written with fine fluency.

    Now I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

Module Learning: Throughout the course of this module, I felt that I was able to meet the objectives put forth. I have not perfected effec...